Thursday, July 10, 2008

Classic Summer

Not just in this way:


But also in my endeavor to read the classics that I was encouraged to read in Junior High and High School. Because I was a snot-nosed, know-it-all teenager, I did not WANT to read what was recommended to me, but chose to read mostly trash.

I have finished The House of Seven Gables by Nathanial Hawthorne, 'Til We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis (incredible, by the way), and am currently reading Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. I have, under recommendation, just finished watching the BBC version of Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and am now wanting to attack the book as soon as I get home. Wow. What a great, GREAT story. Now I KNOW why these books are classics. Throw in a little Edgar Allen Poe short story between my books and I'm good to go. If you are looking for a good Edgar Allen Poe book that you may want to read to your older children on those cheery summer nights that you're looking for them to lose sleep, do what I do. Read this:


Okay, so that's super tiny. The book is called, Edgar Allen Poe's Tales of Mystery and Madness. It is illustrated by Gris Grimly and is just so cool. It's an absolute favorite of mine.

I'm having a great time and am going to bed at 11:30 for the second night in a row. After I read a chapter in Little Women, of course. 'Til Tomorrow...

6 comments:

Amy said...

I loved visiting yesterday, it just wasn't long enough. Hope we can see you all again soon!

Anonymous said...

Jane Eyre was fantastic! Even better watching it with friends.

Stef Layton said...

Why Scarlett, I do declare!! Nice hat. Put down Pride and Prejudice for a bit but back to it - chapter 8, you should be proud!

Dollar General said...

This is very cute Kim!

Emma said...

I don't like classics. I really would rather read trash. :P But I loved Jane Eyre!

Edgar Allen Poe is a little creepy, but that just makes it all the more fun to read!

Anonymous said...

KIMMY!!!! Hey friend!!! I love Jane Erye!! And the BBC one is the BEST!!! I have seen it at least 3 times. I miss you!!! And the book is awesome too. I love their conversations.
LOVE Naomi