Monday, January 21, 2008

Baby Bronner

Today I'm sad for the Burgess loss. As many of you have heard, Rick (from Rick and Bubba's Morning Show) and his wife, Sherri lost their youngest child, Bronner, when he drowned on Saturday afternoon after falling in their pool. From what I understand, Momma went to take a shower while the children were watching television, and somehow the baby managed to get away and open the back door and fell in the pool. She came back from taking a shower and saw the back door open and found him; by that time, it was too late. Rick was out of town speaking at a youth retreat in Gatlinburg when he heard. It absolutely breaks my heart. I cannot imagine their horror and grief. Yesterday I spent most of the afternoon crying, thinking about that poor woman. My baby woke up from his nap and I held him and kissed him and felt his warmth. Felix and Bronner were about eight weeks apart.

I live in fear of our swimming pool. I had panic attacks this summer randomly, thinking about the baby. He fell in three times (at least), once riding his little scooter into the pool about 30 minutes before company arrived to eat dinner. I jumped in, fully clothed, to get him. The other two times I was right there and got him right away. I remember going jogging one morning in late summer and suddenly fearful that he had fallen in the pool. I sprinted to the car and rode home, sobbing, only to find him sitting on his daddy's lap reading a book.

So I fear. And yet, do I even trust God? God will glorify Himself. I know He will glorify Himself in Bronner's death. I heard Maja say once that God is not safe. He loves us and call us, but He asks of us what we think we are not capable. He takes our children. Her second oldest was killed in a car accident when she was twelve. And God glorified Himself in her death. We live in their poolhouse because of her death. God provided through her death. Why did He choose that way? What will He call me to do? I cannot imagine losing a child. Dear God, what do You have entailed for me? I am overcome with sorrow. This world is not my own.

8 comments:

Missy said...

I woke up around 2:00am and didn't go back to sleep until around 4:00am.
All I could think and pray about was the Burgesses.
I have come to realize that one thing God does to glorify Himself in tragic times is by prompting His people to pray. Would I have woken in the middle of the night and felt burdened to pray last night without this? God is being glorified through the prayers of His people.
Still, I never want to experience this tragedy EVER!

Did you see that the memorial service is open to the public tomorrow at 2?
There will probablly be a lot of people in attendance.

heather said...

I think it is so hard to hold on to God and not question why when something like that happens to make sense of it . I know that we can't understand and that is so hard. I pray for them as well.

Anonymous said...

I just heard about it yesterday. I've been listening to them for years. It's just so sad. I remember being pregnant the same time she was with Bronner. I feel so broken for them.

Abbey said...

This is the firt I've heard of it. That is so sad. I cannot even imagine. I will definitely be praying for them through this.

Virginia said...

Well said, Kim. You describe what my heart feels- for them and about being a mama and about God.

I can't stop thinking about this and loving on my babies.

Marsha said...

Missy told me about this on Sunday. I too struggle with the fear of loosing one of my children or grandchildren in what I would deem as an "untimely death".

Over the years I've sat beside many parents who have lost a child. I've witnessed their tragedy and grief, I've tasted their salty tears, and yet their grief is not my own even though I felt it deeply.

As Missy stated, undergirding this precious, hurting family in the days, weeks and months will be the greatest contribution we can make to this family.

As Rachel G. mentioned on her site, think of him having to go back to work and cut up like he does. How will he do that?

How will this mother get past the feelings of guilt?

Oh how we need to pray!

Missy said...

I had another fitful night of sleep. When I close my eyes I just imagine Sherri and the horrific sight she saw. How would you get that out of your mind? How would you sleep? Maybe thats why God is keeping me up, so she can rest.
I thought Bubba and Speedy did an AWESOME job on the show yesterday. God's grace definetly was getting them through. It's obvious to see that God is using this for His glory, I just can't help but hurt for Sherri.

Kimmipeach@gmail.com said...

my mom was a mighty prayer warrior. she always told me when God wakes you in the middle of the night or interrupts you in the middle of your day with someone heavy on your heart, He is calling you to pray for them. even if you don't know exactly what to pray for, the Holy Spirit knows and intercedes for us. pray, pray, pray!!!!