Sunday, September 28, 2008

Help My Unbelief

I know the Lord is nigh, I would but cannot pray
for Satan meets me when I try and frights my soul away.

I would but can't repent, though I endeavor oft
This stony heart can ne'er relent 'til Jesus makes it soft.

I would but cannot love, though wooed by love divine
No arguements have power to move a soul as base as mine.

I would but cannot rest, in God's most Holy Will
I know what He appoints is best, and murmur at it still.

Help my unbelief, my help must come from Thee.


I love this song; it nails me right on the head. I avoid it at times (as I tend to avoid self-contemplation) because I don't want to think about how stubborn I am, or how much I need Him. And yet, I still have the verses floating around and reminding me of my own pride and unbelief. This skin is quite frustrating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. This was me this morning, all through the morning I must say. I heard the voice over and over saying let me in yet I refused to soften my heart. Thank you for posting this.