Thursday, December 11, 2008

White Trash Christmas

Yesterday was Silas' teacher's birthday. Since I'm a good room mother (ha), I decided to make her a lovely little homemade goody bag. Of course, since I have approximately 12 frozen (code: frozen rotten) bananas in my freezer, banana bread is an automatic (and will probably be in her Christmas homemade goody bag as well- look, the bananas are falling out of the freezer everytime I open it). Anyhoo, when I make banana bread (this recipe is the best), I make one big loaf and three mini loaves. Mini loaves are great for teacher gifts. And because there are three, I made some for Felix's teachers, too (yesterday was his last day at lab school- which I forgot, and then remembered on Tuesday night that I should probably put a little happy together for his teachers for Christmas- yeah, no stress). So, banana bread is done, wrapped, and placed in a gift bag yesterday morning at 7am. But so was this delicious tidbit: White Trash. Have you heard of this stuff? There are several variations (names vary as well) of it (some with white chocolate and some with dark chocolate and powdered sugar). Both are delicious, but my favorite is the dark chocolate (shocker) with powdered sugar. It is absolutely, sinfully, addictively delicious. It makes approximately 10 to 11 cups, so it makes a great gift for multiple teachers.

I shall share. First, as I said, there are several variations. You could really add ingredients how you like. I like raisins. Chocolate-covered raisins with powdered sugar. Mmmmm... To some of you (ahem, Ginger, who is probably shivering with disgust) um, don't add raisins. If you like the version with white chocolate, there are lots of different variations here, which is where I found the recipe I used, but I changed mine up a bit.

White Trash

1 12oz box rice chex
1 12oz bag chocolate chips (2 cups)
1 cup of peanut butter
1 cup of butter
1 to 2 cups of raisins (or Craisins)
2 to 3 cups of peanuts (or cashews or almonds, you get the picture)
1 1/2 cups of pecan halves
3 cups powdered sugar (a box and a half)

In a large container (really big), mix together cereal, raisins, peanuts, and pecan halves. In a saucepan, melt chocolate, peanut butter, and butter over medium heat, stirring constantly. Once melted, pour chocolate mixture over cereal mixture, making sure all of it is covered with chocolate. Stir together to make sure all is covered. Using gallon bags (I used three), put approximately 4 to 5 cups of chocolate-covered cereal in each bag. Pour powdered sugar (a little over a cup for each bag) over chocolate mixture in bag. Seal bag and shake until mixture is covered with powdered sugar. Done! Put in containers as you like.

Warning: This product is completely addictive and I refuse to accept any responsibility for your inability to control yourself. As of yet, there are no 12-step programs for White Trash addiction. I'm working on it. My name is Kim and I'm a White Trashaholic.

4 comments:

deLa said...

a girl in my office throws in some cheerios also. ohhh gah the salty and sweet..... yum!

Stef Layton said...

would you post a picture please? It sounds sorta gross. Must see - I don't make a recipe unless I see a picture!! thanks!
Stef

Missy said...

I make mine compleltly different.
THat is my gift for Awanas teachers and such next week too.
Great minds think a like.
Or are just crazy and easily addicted to strange mixtures.

Paige M said...

Yum, I love strange mixtures as long as they include nuts and chocolate! BTW...I'm making Toffee Crunch Cookies for the cookie swap...so excited!